Description and Preparation
- A board with 16 circles.
- 16 different pieces each with 4 characteristics: light or dark, round or square, tall or short, solid or hollow
Objective of the game
The player must establish a line of four pieces, with at least one common characteristic on the board. The line of pieces may be across the board, up and down, or along a diagonal.
- The players throw dice to see who starts.
- The first player selects one of the 16 pieces and gives it to his opponent.
- That player places the piece on any square on the board; he must then choose one of the 15 pieces remaining and give it to his opponent.
- In his turn, that player places the piece on an empty square, and so on...
- Players take turns to choose a piece which the other player must then place on the board.
Winning the game
The game is won by the first player to call “Four!”.
1/ A player calls “Four!” and wins the game when, as he places the piece given to him:
- He creates a line of 4 light pieces or 4 dark pieces or 4 round pieces or 4 square pieces or 4 tall pieces or 4 short pieces or 4 solid pieces or 4 hollow pieces.
Different characteristics can accumulate.
- He does not need to have placed the 3 other pieces himself.
- He must declare his win by calling “Four!”
2/ If this player has not noticed the alignment and passes a piece to the opponent:
- The latter may “at that moment” call “Four!” and indicate the alignment:
He wins the game.
3/ If none of the players sees the alignment during the move during which it is created, it loses any value and the game continues.
End of Game
- Game winner: A player who calls and points out a “Four!”.
- Game even: All the pieces have been placed and no winner declared.
Variation for beginners (children…)
Until you are familiar with the game, you can play with 1, 2 or 3 features as line criteria. For example: Create on the board a line of 4 pieces of the same color. (just one feature chosen).
There are 16 pieces, each of which has four attributes :
- Large or small;
- Light or dark stained wood;
- Square or circle;
- With or without a hole.
The common features