IntroductionR-HEX is an adaptation of the traditional chess game to a board of rectangular format, constituted of 85 hexagons (of preference).
The adaptation consisted in: to increase more 1 Bishop and 7 Pawns for each player, to define the position of each piece in the beginning of the game and the movement of the pieces so that it is compatible with the board (see Movement of the pieces). The rules are similar to the ones of the traditional chess.
Movement of the piecesThere are two basic moves that all pieces do.
- Orthogonal move: a move wherein a piece moves in straight line that crosses hexagons from orthogonal sides. Orthogonal moves are always in different color.
- Diagonal move: a move wherein a piece moves in straight line that crosses hexagons from corners. Diagonal moves are always in same color.
- Objective of the game is to give Checkmate.
- All the pieces capture the same way they move;
- "En passant" captures are allowed;
- Pawns promote when they arrive on last row;
- There is no castling.
StrategiesThe strategies of REX are still not very well-known. At first, the strategies used in the traditional chess should be adapted for this game. The player should adopt the following strategies:
- Domain of the center;
- Control of the space;
- Development of the pieces;
- King in safety;
- Structure of Pawns;
- Mobility of the pieces.